Maria Nielli was born in Turin in 1883. As a child, she earned the nickname “Nina”. When she married Luigi Ricci, who came from a family of Florentine jewelry makers, she became Nina Ricci. In 1932, she founded her haute couture house in Paris at 20 Rue des Capucines. Her precision of cut and choice of noble materials quickly made the Maison a success.
Robert Ricci, Nina’s son, created the perfume business in 1941. The perfume Cœur-Joie, which came in a bottle signed by Lalique, was the fist in what would become a longstanding collaboration with the crystal maker. In 1948, two doves, symbols of love and liberty, appeared on the bottle of the emblematic perfume L’Air du Temps.
Nina Ricci entrusted the artistic direction of her house to Jules-François Crahay in 1954. His more architectural style and curvier silhouettes, such as the “Crocus” suit, met with resounding success. In 1964, Gérard Pipart succeeded Crahay. For thirty years, his creations celebrated a refied woman in ready-to-wear and a flmboyant one in the haute couture collections.
Now located at 39 Avenue Montaigne, the Maison was acquired in 1998 by the Spanish group PUIG, the brand’s perfume distributor. Today, the Puig family continues to perpetuate the Maison’s heritage and creative exception. Designer Peter Copping was named creative director in 2009. His style translated the spirit of femininity with a gentle, light touch.
Since 2015, Guillaume Henry has been the creative director of Nina Ricci. He dresses the woman of today who is right in step with the times. His fist collection for the Maison was presented in March 2015 for the autumn-winter 2015 season.